What you need:
-Steak, cut of choice
-Bay Leaves, Rosemary, Thyme
-Frozen Butternut Squash
-Beef Broth (or choice)
-Heavy Cream or Milk
-Optional: Bourbon, Luxardo Cherries, Bitters
Orange Zest: 1/2 Orange
Splash Orange Juice
Butter: 3 Tbs
Beef Broth: 1/2 Cup
Bay Leaf, Thyme, Rosemary
Curry Seasoning: 2-3 Tbsp.
Butternut Squash Puree: #Cheatcode
Frozen Squash: 1 bag
S/P: to taste
Broth from Potatoes: Splash
Heavy Cream: Splash
Fried Potato Crisp
What to do:
1. Mise en Place. Gather all your ingredients and prep.
2. Marinate your steak. In a zip lock bag, add orange juice/zest, salt, pepper, garlic powder and liquid smoke (set aside in fridge).
3. Start on the fondant potatoes. Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut of ends of potatoes, stand up, and with a sharp knife cut in to square shape. Cut in half. (save scrapes to make small potato crisps). Put potatoes in a bowl of cold water to remove the starch, 5-10 mins.
4. In a heated cast iron, add oil. Pat dry potatoes and on a low-med heat, pan fry potatoes until brown (about 5-6 mins). Season with salt/pepper/vegeta.
5. Flip potatoes, add butter and herbs (bay leaf, thyme, rosemary). Cook until butter foams add s/p to taste and pour broth in. Move pan to oven and cook potatoes until tender about 25-30 mins.
6. While potatoes are cooking, start on your roasted fennel. Cut of stalks off bulb, cut bulbs lengthwise, and cut into strips. Toss fennel in oil, curry powder, salt/pepper. Add to foil lined pan. Add to oven and roast for 20-25 mins until tender.
7. Take steak out of fridge and set to room temperature before cooking.
8. Make the puree, heat up the squash in a microwave until tender. In a food processor add squash, splash of heavy cream, splash of broth from potatoes, and s/p/vegeta to taste. Blend until smooth.
8. Garnishes: thinly cut radishes, use peeler and cut asparagus ribbons. In a small pan, add oil and fry sliced shallots and thinly potato crisps.
9. Make a compound butter. In bowl add half a stick of butter, thyme sprigs, rosemary, salt/pepper and mix.
10. Cook Steak! Take out of marinate and pat dry (this will help make the crust crispy)
11. By now your potatoes, and fennel should be done.
12. Add steak to cast iron and cook 4 mins per side. Baste with compound butter. Let rest for 10 minutes.
13. Start to plate. Start with sliced steak and potatoes. Add the rest around! Have fun with it.
Manhattan 3 oz Bourbon of choice 1-2 dash of Bitters *Garnish: Luxardo Cherry, Orange